Saturday, May 23, 2015

Space and Place no. 1: Palatine Hill

After walking through the covered entry point we came to a beautiful outdoor area. I was immediately excited, hoping the site would be botanical garden-esque, perhaps somewhat similar to Longwood Gardens, where I visited last summer. There were three sets of stairs, one leading straight ahead, another to the left, and the third set leading to the right. This overwhelmed me only because I had no way of grasping the magnitude of the place. I was also nervous about not being able to see everything, especially since we were not staying together as a group. 

Ally, Elyssa, and I chose to buddy up and head to the left. Birds were tweeting and singing so charmingly, which added to my contentness. As we walked on a designated path, we saw a series of brick arches. The large amount of grass struck me as something rather distinct. Though it is tucked away from a busy area near the Colosseum and Forum Romanum, it still exists as a green space in a large city. I have a hard time finding comparable examples in the other cities I have visited.

We continued on the path, coming across countless formerly marble buildings (now orange-hued brick). It was incredible to think of what they once were. Continuing to a higher level, I 

(Palatine Hill, Thursday May 22, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment